Microorganisms in foods are divided into 3 according to their basic characteristics.
Saprophyte microorganisms cause spoilage.
- Pathogenic microorganisms cause food poisoning and infections.
- Useful microorganisms play a role in the production of alcoholic beverages such as fermented meat, yoghurt, beer and wine.
The relationship between food and microorganism depends on the nutrients of the food, its pH value, water activity and ambient conditions such as ambient humidity and temperature.
Causes of food spoilage;
- Microorganisms such as bacteria, yeast, mold
- Enzyme activities
- Chemical reactions
Some useful microorganisms in foods;
- "Lactic Acid Bacteria" used in the production of pickles, some cheese varieties, yogurt.
- "Saccharomyces cerevisiae" used in the production of beer, wine, bread.
- "Saccharomyces carlbergensis" used in beer production
- "S.cerevisiae and Acetobacter aceti" used in vinegar production
- "Penicillium camembertii" used in the production of Kamembert cheese
- “P. Roqueforti "